Mardi Gras February 17th, 2015
I have always dreamed of going to New Orleans for Mardi Gras celebration, but for now I will have to settle for making it festive at home. My sister and I collaborated on New Orleans style cuisine. We used Cajun seasonings and spices to make sauteed shrimp & grits and served them alongside collared greens and asparagus. Recipe follows.
For Shrimp & Grits you will need:
1 pound cleaned, peeled and de-veined shrimp, uncooked
3-4 tablespoons creole or Cajun seasoning
4-5 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
1 can chick peas
1 bunch of collard greens, cleaned and chopped
4-5 strips of bacon, chopped
quick cook grits
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb. fresh asparagus, ends chopped off
oil for sauteing
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the uncooked shrimp with the seasoning, adding a few tablespoons of olive oil. Let marinade for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Saute shrimp and garlic in 2 tablespoons of oil on medium heat. Stirring constantly until shrimp turn opaque and a light pink color. Add the chick peas, omitting liquid. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a separate small pot, cook grits according to packaged directions. At the end, add the shredded cheese and mix thoroughly.
- In the saute pan, lightly brown the bacon and add collard greens on medium heat. Add about 1/4 cup water, cover and turn the heat down to simmer.
- Add the asparagus to the pan for a few minutes until they cooked to desired consistency.
The King Cake mix can be purchased at http://www.mampapauls.com/product.sc?productId=10
We followed the instructions according to the package and decorated with beads.
I accessorized with Jamberry Nail Wraps to create Mardi Gras nails!! I painted my nails with different colored polish,then layered black and clear jams on the top! Shown with: Lost Ruins (thumb), Sheer Genius (pointer&middle) &Lace Noir (pinky&ring). There are alot of wraps that have a design on clear that you can layer over your favorite polish!
Update: Jamberry Nail wraps are currently unavailable